Sunday 7 April 2013

Omar Hassan: The Nigerian Dream


Omar Hassan: The Nigerian Dream


index
By Omar Hassan
Today marks a great a day in the historyof my great belief system. I was
born into a great nation, my country. A country in existence since
1960. Fifty Three (53) years later, citizens are still suffering from
ethnic marginalisation. Fifty three (53) years later, my country men,
we are yet to receive our basic amenities which is basically the right of
every citizen of a country.
Corruption has enveloped our great democratic process, our entitlements
are sources of corrupt enrichment for a few. I once heard a man speak about
himself, “I stopped believing in the Educational sector since 1981, when
I found out my secondary school science laboratories were more equipped
than that of a federal university in my country Nigeria”. The mortalityrate
in all aspects of our lives is alarming: security operatives killing innocent
citizens, lack of health facilities and personnel leading to death everyday, lack of
access to basic amenities kills faster than most diseases, no good
roads, no security and the bane of all this is illiteracy.
With grave sadness I use the history of this great day to speak out: a
constitution was written, a country was created and a promise made to
every citizen that they will have access to Good
roads,Water,Electricity,Education and Healthy Facilities.
Now back to the present day. It is obvious that our promises have not been
achieved Fifty Three(53) years later. Nigeria has made its citizens
groan daily from suffering. I believe that in this great nation,
Nigeria and Nigerians can do better. Now, it’s time we helped our
great nation demand and strive to make this Nation a greater Nation.
My Fellow citizens, I say this with great pains because I am a
Nigerian and know the difficulties and frustration every citizen of
this country experiences everyday. But I will be failing today if I refuse to have
a dream– A dream borne of the belief that my great Nation can do
better.
I have a dream that the citizens will count in every aspect of this
great Nation some day.
I have a dream that failed health care will be a thing of the past.
I have a dream that the needs of the poor will be met and the
margin between the rich and the poor will be greatly reduced.
I have a dream that there will be justice for all Nigerians, the corrupt
will be tried and judged and convicted.
I have a dream that every child will grow up into a better Nigeria, where
they will rejoice that they are Nigerians.
I have a dream today. Do you?
@lecomtephyn
Ihase Osazee
Oz2cute4lyfe@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment